On Monday (May 15), In honour of Lee Kuan Yew’s 100th birthday, Singapore released a $10 coin celebrating his visionary leadership and determination, which transformed the nation from a regional trading post to a global powerhouse in manufacturing, business, and finance, benefiting all Singaporeans.
In a statement, MAS said the coin pays tribute to Mr Lee’s “strategic vision, boldness, and indomitable spirit that transformed Singapore from a regional trading port to a global manufacturing, business, and financial hub.”
The gold-colored LKY100 coin is made of aluminum bronze. With a diameter of 30mm, it has a larger size than the Third Series coins currently in circulation, according to MAS. On one side of the coin, Mr Lee is depicted, accompanied by the Marina Barrage in the foreground. As part of his vision for strengthening Singapore’s water resilience, he built a freshwater reservoir in the city.
MAS said that the background shows the skyline of Raffles Place and two heritage buildings that have witnessed significant milestones in Singapore’s history. National Gallery Singapore occupies the former Supreme Court and City Hall sites, as well as the Fullerton Hotel, formerly the Fullerton Building/General Post Office.
Singapore’s coat of arms appears on the other side of the coin.
According to MAS, Singapore citizens, and permanent residents are eligible to apply. Each person can apply for up to five coins.
Applicants will be required to provide their NRIC and mobile phone numbers, as well as the preferred bank branch to collect the coins, such as DBS Bank/POSB, OCBC Bank, UOB, Bank of China, and Maybank.
Application for Coins
Applications can be made online at https://go.gov.sg/lky100coin-order. Details of the application process are as follows:
- Application period is from 15 May 2023 to 9 June 2023.
- Applications are open to Singapore Citizens (SCs) and Permanent Residents (PRs) only.
- Each applicant will be required to indicate his/her identity number, mobile number and preferred bank branch to collect the coins, from the banks listed (136.4 KB). An SMS notification will be sent shortly after the application to confirm that it has been received.
- Each applicant can apply for up to five coins. If demand is high, applicants may not be allocated the quantity of coins requested but can be assured of being allocated at least one coin.
- No upfront payment will be requested at the point of application. Successful applicants will pay for the coin(s), at its face value of $10 each, when collecting the coin(s) at the banks.
SCs or PRs who require in-person assistance with the online application may approach any Community Club/Centre, or ServiceSG Centre.
However, if demand is high, the quantity requested may not be possible, but the applicant can be assured of receiving at least one coin.
“The SMS notification will include information about the number of coins and the collection period,” said MAS.
“The LKY100 coins that were not exchanged during the collection window will be available for exchange at the banks to the general public, including non-Singaporeans,” MAS said.
The mintage, allocation, and collection of the coins will be announced in August or September.
For a detailed listing of the participating bank branches and their location, please refer to https://go.gov.sg/lky100coin-bankbranches (136.4 KB).